My son loves waffles but I don’t love how he acts when his blood sugar plummets an hour after eating them. So, I came up with this high protein, high fiber waffle recipe. We lovingly call them ‘hippie waffles’ because my wife was raised by hippies and grew up eating homemade tofu.
- 1.75 Cups Whole Wheat Spelt Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- .5 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or palm sugar
- 1.5 scoops whey protein powder (I use Biochem unflavored, unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1.5 cups milk, kefir, or yogurt (you may need to increase for more viscous liquids)
- .5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Separate the egg whites out and mix in all other wet ingredients
- Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks, then fold them into the bater with a spatula
- Spoon batter into waffle iron
I usually serve these with compote made by heating up frozen strawberries and/or raspberries in a sauce pan and adding a little honey. You can also drizzle some yogurt over the top and maybe sprinkle some granola on for crunchiness if you are a real hippie.